MURRAY, Ky. — Murray State University hosted an online Family Weekend event Sept. 11-12, offering Racers and their families numerous virtual activities to take part in.
Family Weekend 2020, held with social distancing and Racer Safe and Healthy Guidelines in mind, encouraged students to share their college experience with their loved ones. More than 3,500 individuals were reached through social media platforms, not taking into account the many shares, posts from other Murray State University platforms and website views.
Virtual activities included the following:
- A “Bring your Family along” scavenger hunt, which encouraged students on campus to connect with their at-home and Racer families for entries to win Murray State gear
- The “Racer Family Rewind” video challenge, where participants recreated old family photos and posted on social media using the #RacerFamilyRewind hashtag
- A “Racer Recipes” series that featured a variety of community-submitted recipes for all cooking skill levels
- A “Racer One Facebook Event” featuring a Q&A with Murray State’s famous thoroughbred and student rider
- Murray State coloring sheets for those looking to flex their artistic muscles
- A canned food and toiletries drive that helped to stock the University’s Racers Helping Racers pantry and other local charities
“We wished we could have visited face-to-face with our Racer family and friends but feel the virtual event was well-received,” said Director of Student Engagement and Success Peggy Whaley. “We hope to see everyone back on campus next fall for Family Weekend.”
Parents were still able to visit their students on campus, even with this year’s Family Weekend being hosted virtually. Families were also able to participate in on-campus and virtual tours or visit the Curris Center, in line with health guidelines. Additionally, the University continued a Family Weekend tradition of honoring an outstanding family from each Residential College.
Those families include the following:
- Clark Residential College: Beth and Steve Walker
- Hart Residential College: Kelly Melton
- Regents Residential College: Jake and Daphne Hoffman
- Richmond Residential College: Amy Hueftle
- Springer/Franklin Residential College: Tom and Luann Castle
- RH White Residential College: Jai and Delane Bracken
To read the full nomination, visit murraystate.edu/familyweekend.